Have you felt pain or tightness in your joints soon after periods of inactivity or excessive use? You could be dealing with osteoarthritis (OA), the most typical kind of arthritis. Osteoarthritis is the breaking down of cartilage that causes the bones to rub against each other, producing stiffness, pain and a reduction of movement in the joint. Osteoarthritis generally has an effect on the knees, hips, neck, hands, and lower back.
If you think that osteoarthritis could be causing you problems, Regency Home Care Atlanta recommends getting a complete physical exam by a medical professional—and we’re happy to offer a Regency care nursing home in Atlanta.
The information below outlines the symptoms of osteoarthritis, plus tactics to help effectively manage the condition.
Symptoms of Osteoarthritis:
- Stiffness or pain in joints after periods of inactivity or excessive use.
- Grating or “catching” sensation during joint movement.
- Bony growths at the margins of impacted joints.
- Effective treatment plans often include a combination of drugs, rest, physical activity, joint protection, use of cold or heat to reduce pain, and physical and/or occupational therapy.
- Many individuals with OA prefer pain medications such as acetaminophen or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to help reduce joint pain, stiffness, and swelling.
- Remaining physically active keeps joints flexible and preserves or enhances muscle strength.
- Joint protection reduces the risk of strain or stress on painful joints.
- Controlling weight is critical for the prevention of and to slow the progression of osteoarthritis impacting the weight-bearing joints (knees and hips) and lower back.
- Corticosteroids or hyaluronic acid derivatives can sometimes be injected into joints that are unresponsive to treatment.
Regency Home Care in Atlanta can help someone with osteoarthritis to be as independent as possible. Contact us for more information on private duty care in Atlanta, and to find a partner in care to help with the many effects of osteoarthritis. A few of the ways we can help include:
- Safe, reliable transportation to health-related appointments and procedures
- Running errands such as picking up prescriptions and groceries
- Offering a pleasant companion to encourage physical activity
- Preparation of nutritious, delicious meals
- And much more
Call the home health care in Atlanta experts at Regency Home Care at 678.999.2446 to learn more!
*Tips courtesy of the Arthritis Foundation