A healthy blood pressure rate is a vital part of maintaining heart health. It can reveal if heart health is improving or if emergency action needs to be taken. Getting an accurate blood pressure reading, however, can be a bit tricky. To help you get the most accurate blood pressure reading, the caregivers at Regency Home Care of North Atlanta offer the following tips:
- Make sure to take the readings at the same time each day.
- Take two or three readings one minute apart and record all three results for better accuracy.
- Have the person sit with her back straight and supported and feet flat on the floor; crossed legs can negatively affect the reading. Place the person’s arm on a flat surface, with the upper arm at heart level.
- Make sure the middle of the cuff is placed directly over the person’s brachial artery and fits correctly. To find the brachial artery, with the person’s arm out, palm facing up, trace a line from the outside of his thumb, up his outer arm to the bend in his elbow. At that bend is the brachial artery.
- The person whose blood pressure you are reading should not smoke, drink caffeinated beverages or exercise within 30 minutes before measuring blood pressure.
Taking accurate blood pressure readings can help your loved one improve his or her health and know when to seek treatment. This American Heart Month, make heart healthy changes to keep heart disease at bay. Remember, it’s not just a “man’s disease;” heart disease is the #1 killer of women in the U.S. Learn more about how to protect your heart at the Go Red for Women website or contact Regency Home Care to find out how our caregivers can help clients with heart disease live healthier lives at home.
At Regency Home Care of North Atlanta, we strive to help our clients remain safe, healthy, and independent, no matter what their care needs. And we serve families throughout North Atlanta, including Buckhead, Brookhaven, Vinings, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Marietta, Atlanta, Cumming and Lawrenceville—so we can help to keep your heart healthy no matter where you reside in the northern Atlanta area.