Living far apart makes it tough to go visit our aging parents as often as we would wish, but over the holidays, families make a more concerted effort to enjoy quality time together – making it the optimal occasion to assess an older adult’s safety and wellbeing. There are lots of red flags that can’t be witnessed in weekly telephone conversations, e-mails, or even through Skype, but which often become apparent when the family is all together during the holiday season.
Concerns in the Home:
- Is there a difference in the level of cleanliness of the home?
- Are you noticing an accumulation of clutter, like stacks of newspapers and mail?
- Are foods in the refrigerator and cabinets fresh?
- Do you see burn or scorch markings on pots and pans, counter tops, or any place else in the kitchen?
- Is the home being kept at a comfortable temperature?
- Has the individual lost or gained weight?
- Has general personal hygiene declined?
- Can you see any bruises, burns, or other injuries?
- Does the senior family member seem to be dealing with issues with strength or balance?
- Are all essential medical aids being utilized and in good order, such as eyeglasses, dentures, hearing aids?
- Are there collection statements, bills that are unpaid, telephone messages from debt collectors?
- Do statements from the bank contain any questionable activity?
- Is the senior lacking in any necessities?
- Is the older person experiencing – and reacting inappropriately to – solicitation calls or mailings?
- Are there any new names included on statements from the bank that might suggest potential fraudulence?
If these or any other warning signs are observed in your aging parents, one particular starting point is to arrange an appointment with the primary care physician to help with any potential health complications. Then, contact Regency Home Care for assistance in resolving a variety of issues related to aging at home, like food preparation, light housekeeping, transportation to medical appointments, friendly companionship to prevent isolation and loneliness, and much more.
Serving the entire metro Atlanta area, it is the objective of Regency Home Care to keep older individuals safe, healthy, and thriving at home. Our care staff are thoroughly screened, interviewed, and background checked to ensure peace of mind for family members, and trained and experienced in a wide array of aspects of senior care. Call us at 678.999.2466 for a free in-home assessment to discover how we can best meet your loved one’s particular needs.