Take just a moment and think of how your senior loved ones were feeling during your last visit. Were they full of energy, vigor and vim, ready to take life on with enthusiasm? Or were they lethargic, sluggish, complaining of feeling weary and worn out? Physical complications and illnesses aside, feeling run down and fatigued is not a normal aspect of aging, but can simply be an indicator of poor nutrition.
Nothing takes the place of a well-balanced diet and plenty of exercise, but for seniors whose nutrient requirements aren’t being met through diet, the common refrain of “I just have no energy,” thankfully, can often be remedied through vitamin supplements. But one glance at the rows and rows of alphabetically arranged bottles of vitamins, minerals, natural supplements, and self-proclaimed “miracle cures” can be bewildering. Exactly what should seniors be taking? Experts suggest the following for seniors:
- A daily multivitamin specifically labeled as beneficial for those age 50+ is formulated to contain the right balance for most seniors.
- Vitamin B12 is crucial for maintaining healthy neurological function and red blood cell development, and can be hard for seniors to absorb naturally through foods. B12 deficiencies can result in fatigue, weakness, anemia and more.
- The jury is still out on how effective calcium supplements are for overall bone health, but research has shown it to reduce vertebrae fractures.
- Calcium can only be absorbed in conjunction with vitamin D, which also helps protect against heart attack, stroke, and other conditions. Vitamin D deficiencies are also linked to diabetes, arthritis, asthma, depression, and more.
- This formulation of C, E, lutein, zinc and zeaxanthin has shown promising results in reducing the risk of cataracts and slowing the progression of AMD. An ophthalmologist should be consulted for a recommendation on which formula to choose.
Always check first with the physician, however, before taking any supplements, since taking too much of a particular supplement, or certain combinations of supplements with prescription medications can be dangerous.
Regency Home Care knows there is no place like home at any stage of life. Our senior care services have been helping seniors stay in their homes for as long as possible. We have been providing excellent home health care in the Atlanta area for over 30 years, including everything from medication oversight to around-the clock care for Alzheimer’s and dementia clients – a full-range of home care services with the goal of keeping our clients safe, healthy and independent. Call us today at (678) 999-2446.