When leaving the hospital, most people assume that their physician or the hospital discharge planner will tell them everything they need to know about how to care for themselves at home. Unfortunately, that isn’t usually the case, and it is important for patients to plan in advance for what they can and can’t do for themselves once they are home.
Prepare yourself for a smooth transition from hospital to home by getting answers to these questions prior to your surgery:
- Who will pick up my prescriptions? Will I need to rely on a relative for this task? Will he or she be available when I need a refill?
- Who will answer questions I may have about the medications? Should I contact my doctor, the pharmacist, or does the hospital have someone else for me to contact with questions regarding my care?
- What phone numbers do I need to have on hand?
- What kind of medical equipment might I need (such as a walker, crutches, or tele-health devices), and who will provide them?
- What kinds of tasks might be difficult for me to perform once I return home given the nature of my surgery? (Ex. bathing, dressing, climbing stairs, picking up prescription drugs, cooking, shopping, driving, etc.)
- What activities are not recommended following surgery? How long should I abstain from these activities?
- What signs or symptoms should I watch for that might indicate a problem during recovery?
- Do I need someone present in the home, or will I be safe left alone for extended time periods?
- Will my medications cause drowsiness or confusion?
- Do I need the assistance of home health agencies in Buckhead, Dunwoody, Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, GA?
A quality home care agency, like Regency Home Care of Atlanta, Georgia, can help you answer these and other questions about your post-surgery care. Our caregivers can pick up prescriptions, assist with bathing, dressing and grooming as needed, monitor for signs that might indicate an emerging health issue, and more. Contact us to learn more about our home health agencies in Buckhead, Dunwoody, Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs as well as the entire metro Atlanta, GA area if you need to schedule in-home care for after an upcoming surgery.