To quote Jane Austen, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” And for someone who is living with MS, comfort is crucial, as is remaining safe. If a loved one has been diagnosed with MS, the initial step in caregiving should be to make the appropriate modifications so the home is a safe, comfortable sanctuary, and not a hazardous place.
Multiple sclerosis can cause getting around to be challenging, and because daily tasks — including leisure activities — can result in fatigue more rapidly in those with MS, creating specific changes to the home environment may help conserve energy and increase independence.
Some examples include:
- Change out thick carpeting with smooth, nonslip flooring for easier mobility
- Put grab bars in the bathroom
- Reposition furniture to expand pathways throughout the residence
- Include items in the shower or bathtub such as a handheld showerhead, a slip resistant bath mat and a tub seat
- Consider a bed rail to aid with changing sleeping positions
- Replace knobs throughout the home with handles, which are easier to manage
Learn more about living with MS from our Atlanta home care experts.
Regency Home Care of Atlanta, GA can provide home modification guidelines and assist in scheduling modifications to make sure your loved one’s home is a more convenient place for independence. To learn more about our home care services in the Atlanta metro area, contact us at 678.999.2446. Our in-home care from professional caregivers can help individuals remain in the comfort of their home, with the care needed to improve quality of life.