The best thing about humankind is that each and every one is totally unique, and that does not change merely because of growing older. As we mature, we remain the unique and intricate individuals that we have been our whole lives. Expecting all seniors to act the same and require the very same things is a cookie cutter approach that just does not work for older adults or those who take care of them. Providing care to older individuals necessitates a creative and careful approach that enables the caregiver to evaluate just who an older adult is and what the person’s distinct needs are to decide on the best plan of care to keep the senior healthy and well at home.
In the same way that there are many varied types of people with different needs, there are also many different types of in-home care services and providers in atlanta. Understanding which types of services, or combinations of services, are appropriate for your senior loved one can help him or her live a happier, healthier life at home. Working with a licensed, bonded, and well-respected home care provider like Regency Home Care in atlanta is also extremely important.
When the time comes to search for home care for a loved one, a geriatric care evaluation for daily function, depression, and mental status is an important step that a top-notch home care service provider will supply to define which types of services are recommended for the individual.
A geriatric care assessment is intended to:
- Assess all of the difficulties and challenges that an older adult might be experiencing
- Develop a coordinated care plan to focus on interventions for recognized issues
- Identify the senior’s accessibility to support that can help him or her safely reside at home
- Establish care needs and the frequency of care that should be provided
After completion, a geriatric care assessment can result in:
- Improved health outcomes
- Postponing the start of disability
- Preparedness for health changes before they worsen
- Enhanced quality of life
- Saving on health care costs
- Recognizing rehabilitation needs
- Planning services to increase safety
- Discovering early-stage disease
- Determining a senior’s capability to care for himself or herself
- Identifying and fixing fall risks
During a geriatric care assessment, a home care provider should also take the time to get to know the older adult for whom care will be provided – his or her life history, likes and dislikes, and sense of humor. Time should also be taken to get to know the family caregivers better. Learning about family dynamics, personal history, hobbies and interests, and more can all help in-home caregivers customize the care they provide to the unique people they serve.
At Regency Home Care, we’re committed to supporting the independence and dignity of each person we serve. When health conditions and life stages lead to the need for a little extra help or even around-the-clock care, we know the changes that follow can be complicated, emotional and intimidating. We can help you evaluate your loved one’s care needs and determine the ideal type of in-home care services to assure your loved one’s independence at home. Call us today at 678.999.2446 to find out more about our Buckhead home care services or to set up an assessment.