February is Low Vision Awareness Month and is intended to raise awareness of age-related vision issues, such as Age-Related Macular Degeneration (ARMD). ARMD is the leading cause of central vision loss in Americans over the age of 50. This is just one concern of aging adults that professionals at Regency Home Care Atlanta canhelp with in their elder care Atlanta GA.
The Macular is a part of the retina that is responsible for central vision and color vision. Age-Related Macular Degeneration ARMD is a complex degenerative disorder of the macula where protein/lipids, known as drusen, deposit under the retina. There are three main types of this age-related progressive disease:
- Dry or Nonexudative where drusen and pigment deposit
- Wet or Exudative where there is abnormal growth/leakage of blood vessels with or without drusen deposits
- Geographic Atrophy where retinal support system begins to break down and loss of vision occurs usually without blood vessels or drusen.
Risk factors for developing ARMD include:
- Age – More than 2 million Americans over the age of 50 have ARMD
- Family history of ARMD
- Smoking increases your risk for ARMD to progress
- Hyperopia and light-colored iris
- Systemic diseases such as hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, or cardiovascular disease
- Gender with women being more likely to develop ARMD than men
- Race with Caucasians being more likely to develop ARMD
Are you overdo for your eye exam? Adults should get a comprehensive eye exam every two years. For senior adults over the age of 60, it is recommended to get an eye exam every year. Catching issues early is important to help prevent vision loss from ARMD.
Regency home care helps the aging and their family members enjoy a good quality of life, even providing transportation to and from eye doctor appointments. Senior Home Care Atlanta at Regency Home Care comes alongside to help. We offer in Home Health Atlanta that you can depend on and trust. We help aging seniors stay as independent as possible for as long as they can.
Contact us for more information on private duty and personalized home care in the Atlanta area. We are your partner in care to help with aging concerns including staying as healthy as possible for as long as possible, and that includes maintaining healthy vision. Our professionals also help with safe, reliable transportation to health-related appointments and procedures, running errands, and preparing nutritious meals.