The impact of COPD on Americans is staggering, with as many as 12.7 million adults in the U.S. diagnosed in 2011, according to the American Lung Association, including 21% of nursing home residents – and, 17% of those are receiving no respiratory medication, as reported by the Journal of Managed Care and Specialty Pharmacy.
Consider these additional COPD facts from the Annals of Long-Term Care:
- 40% of people with COPD suffer from depression and anxiety. Nursing home placement for such individuals may further contribute to this situation, as circumstances inside nursing homes “provide a favorable culture for the persistence of depressive illness.”
- COPD is associated with a series of other chronic conditions, including coronary artery disease, heart failure, and hypertension. Such diagnoses are commonly overlooked in nursing homes with as many of 66% of the cases of chronic heart failure going undetected.
There’s new hope now in Atlanta for those with COPD. Residences by Regency offers unique nursing home alternatives that are a far cry from the traditional nursing home environment. Just a few of the benefits include:
- An Actual Home Environment
Large facilities with long hallways can be exasperating for people with COPD. The physical limitations imposed by COPD, combined with the physical exertion required to navigate a large facility can isolate seniors. We have found that the familiar and manageable surroundings of a real home increase interaction and socialization for clients with COPD.
- Care Quality and Consistency
With over 3 times more direct care than a facility, and a consistent team of caregivers, we have found that Residences by Regency provide the necessary proximity and familiarity between caregiver and client to recognize when additional healthcare services and support need to be explored.
- A Familiar Environment, Familiar Faces
Depression can be exacerbated by feelings of loneliness and isolation. We have found that being in the familiar environment of a real home in a real neighborhood, surrounded by a cooperative family unit, creates meaningful relationships in an environment that contributes to dignity and hope.
- Care Flexibility
Because of the individual attention afforded to the client in a Residence by Regency, we have found that when care needs evolve or associated conditions progress, we have the ability to adjust care plans, therapies, and personalized strategies to accommodate them.
Combining all the comforts of home with 24/7 care, Residences by Regency offers the simple concept of a single-family home of no more than four residents with unparalleled caregiving service on hand at all times, allowing for personalized attention, a sense of community, safety and improved quality of life. If this sounds like a solution you’d like to explore, contact us any time at 404-205-8368 and allow us to tell you more and answer all of your questions. Haiti